Diagonal Palm Shift #1

If anyone was wondering what I have been doing magic-wise in the many months of not updating this blog, the topic explains it all.  The DPS is explained in “Expert at the Card Table”.  Rarely done by magicians, but if seen in the hands of an expert, its a thing of beauty.  The mechanics of the move is something all sleight of hand should achieve.

Now, I do not claim to be an expert of the move.  I have only been doing it for 4 months but I do feel I am qualified to show students of the move some tips and pointers that will help them along.   I won’t teach the move in full detail since I strongly feel that this move is something only learned completely if one goes though the trails and errors to make it perfect.

The learning process of the diagonal palm shift will perfectly demonstrate what YOU, as the magician should go through with every sleight of hand.  The DPS is not forgiving to the lay men’s eyes.  You can get away with a poor double lift, but the DPS is not as forgiving.  That is the main reason that only seasoned magicians perform the move in public.

So here is a video of me doing the move and a few pointers on the sleight.  Throughout the coming weeks, I will be adding more pointers on the move.  If anyone wants to upload their DPS and show it on the blog, I’ll be more than glad to do so.  If you don’t think the DPS has any applications, trust me when I say this…  I have came up with some amazing tricks that use the DPS exclusively.  It has more applications than just stealing a card out of the middle.

Password : What year was “Expert at the Card Table” published?  *Hint* last name of author “.com”

DPS1 from Tony Chang on Vimeo.

Posted: July 12th, 2009
Comments: 18 Comments.
Comments
Comment from Eric - July 13, 2009

welcome back slacker! just kidding

nice stuff.

coincidentally, I have been working on the DPS a lot lately too. I have a sandwich routine utilizing it a bit, and working on other various subtleties that work with it, etc…

once I am satisfied with the sandwich routine and the dps in it, ill put up a vid.

OH, and… with all the freelance video editing stuff you been doing… you can put in a few cool cuts, or background music or something!! get on it!

Comment from dan - July 13, 2009

do you ever use that in a live performance?

btw- a nice way to eliminate finger motion is to curl the index finger during the swivel/palm out.

Comment from admin - July 13, 2009

I use this all the time under fire.

unless you can do the swivel/palm out with your index finger curled the whole time, then you must have some huge hands. Your index finger will have to come back out straight in order to finish the palm. I would think that is a huge finger flash since why would you straighten your index finger if nothing is in your palm. Also the reason i don’t curl the index finger is that you will flash under the deck. The index finger straight makes the hand look more dead as you execute the move.

Comment from admin - July 13, 2009

Eric,

If this blog was actually getting me paid then I would. But for now I think the information is worth more than just fancy cuts and music.

Comment from gluestick - July 13, 2009

First time posting!

very nicely excuted.

Regarding getting into dps from a peek,
is there any tip to get the selected card outjog using the pinky without getting the top part of the deck to shift?

Are u using a very small finger break?I am very amazed by the smoothness and the speed to get into position for the palm.

i guess i have to spend more time practice.

Comment from Johnny - July 13, 2009

what a amazing move..
the tips on the angle is good …

anyway i am trying this move..
hope there will be a day that i do it smooth like you..

tell me some of the tips on the left thumb, i can see in my move there are to much movement of my thumb..
can you tell me how to manage it?

Comment from Mathias Kersting - July 13, 2009

“I think the information is worth more than just fancy cuts and music.”

Absolutely^

Glad you’re back Tony. Loved the colour-change application, I totally forgot that Erdnase mentioned that you can palm off the top card using the DPS.

Just examining you do the DPS helped me solve a difficulty I had with it, looking forward to more of your tips.

Will you be demonstrating other applications?

Comment from admin - July 13, 2009

Mathias:

Trust me. When I say there are many applications, I mean there is A LOT. I mean the possibilities are endless. Here is a hint… you can do the DPS with a packet. ;)

Comment from Mathias - July 13, 2009

:( Didn’t think of that^

I admit I’ve fallen into the trap of being dependent on ideas from others (and not really being aware of it), rather than experimenting and playing around myself. It’s a habit that I have to break :P

Comment from Eric - July 13, 2009

Haha I know, I was just playing around Tony.

Glad you are posting again. Gotta remember, the magic community in Tokyo is dead, so I gotta have my fix every once in a while, and I prefer your insight to other sites =).

Comment from Exo - July 14, 2009

Just wanted to point out that the dps topcardsteal can be used as a top to bottom ambitious card bit. (maybe somebody actualy likes it^^)

Comment from dan - July 14, 2009

It only (index finger) has to extend right at the end of the swivel. Ask Matt Richman for tips. He helped me.

Comment from Exo - July 15, 2009

did you even read what tony wrote dan ?
extending your finger without a reason raises suspision and having it already extended before doing the move makes it seem alot more natural.

Comment from Gary - July 19, 2009

So, where’d you learn to eliminate that finger flutter, eh Tony? ;P.

I really like that application at the end. Something about the simplicity of it, even though we explored fancier versions… I overlooked this one and how good it could look.

I also notice that when you hand the deck out, you favor pointing the (your) left side of the deck towards the spectator. Seems to serve eliminating that “energy” on another level as well. The structure of your right hand/arm also takes a more natural appearance eliminating the awkwardness of favoring the front on the hand out.

Nice tip with the beam too. I’ll work on that one.

Comment from jaded - November 2, 2009

first time to post here.

discovered this move in this site..
this is a really really good move..

could you give more tutorials on other applications.

tnx
-jaded

Comment from Pablo - December 1, 2009

Tony I just wanted to say that I think you have the best example I’ve seen on what a real DPS should look like. The whole idea around making the left hand look as dead as possible is so true.

Question: After countless hours of watching your vids I do not understand how you are getting the side angle injog (as depicted in Fig74 on p138 of TEATCT). It truly looks like you are pushing the card straight in. There is no exaggerated angling of the card as you see with most handlers. Any advice on making this move look less suspicious?

Comment from Tony Chang - December 1, 2009

When pushing in the card, have your left hand on the deck in mechanics grip. your thumb is on the outer left corner and your middle finger is on the outer right corner. The ring finger and pinky are loose on the right side of the deck. These two fingers should not be touching the deck. (They can, but they just have to be ready to move out of the way) The card is inserted in the front. When you push the card in, use your index finger to push straight in. Your other fingers will pretend to push the card in but the only force is from the index finger. Now if u add a little pressure from the left middle finger to the outer right corner of the deck, it will act as a pivot point for the card to angle side jog to the right.

Now remember that the corner sticking out on the thumb side of the deck should be very very small. Your thumb and pinky should be able to slide the card up and down in the deck. Hope that helps.

Comment from Allen - December 23, 2009

Hey,

Love your applications with the DPS! Epic!. Was curious if you could run through a quick breakdown of the color change you did at the end. I don’t quiet seem to understand how to drag the card with the DPS.